Friday, November 20, 2009

Cleaning Schedule


I have struggled with cleaning since we've bought this house. I mean, my house isn't filthy or in squalor or anything (put those phones down please), but I still feel like I could be doing better. In the summer when school is out it's usually not too much of an issue, but when school is in and I am gone from 7:00-4:30, plus sometimes later depending on the day, I have to admit all motivation is out the window, ESPECIALLY when I have lesson plans and papers to grade and e-mails and dogs to walk and dinner to make and . . . well . . . you know.

So I've decided to create a new cleaning schedule. This schedule has me only doing "real" cleaning four days a week, so there are three extra days for flexibility and whatever else is needed. So far it's been pretty manageable, but we'll see how it goes (because, well, I'm lazy).

Sunday - Bathrooms
  • Disinfect surfaces (doorknob, sink handles, bathroom sink)
  • Wipe mirror
  • Scrub tub
  • Scrub toilet
  • Wipe down baseboard
  • Sweep and mop floor
  • Wash towels and bath mat
  • Take out garbage
  • Also on Sundays: wash/change bed sheets and grocery shop (this was always our day before this schedule. This includes cleaning out the fridge, coupon cutting, and planning, but that doesn't usually take long)
Monday - Kitchen
  • Wipe down cabinets, appliances, faucet, windowsills
  • Wash dish rack
  • Wipe down garbage can inside and out
  • Clean microwave
  • Disinfect countertops
  • Sweep and mop floors (include living room in sweep because dogs = fur)
Tuesday - Bedroom
  • Dust all surfaces
  • Wipe switchplates, doorknobs, doors
  • Empty bedroom garbage
  • Vacuum
  • Wash light-colored clothes
Wednesday - Living Room/Dining Room
  • Dust all surfaces
  • Vacuum (include couch)
  • Wipe down baseboards
  • Febreeze fabrics
  • Wash dark clothes
Thursday/Friday/Saturday
  • Straighten up/vacuum
  • Organize 1 closet, area, etc.
  • Wipe down bathroom sink again (it gets funky pretty quickly)
  • Kitchen laundry
Daily
  • No dishes in the sink
  • Load/unload dishwasher
  • Wipe down kitchen counters
  • Sweep kitchen and bathroom floor
I think this will work for now. I hope I'm not forgetting anything. We'll see how it goes, but I really think this is going to work (as long as I don't turn into a lazy bum!).

No comments:

Post a Comment